Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother

 Happy Mothers Day ladies! 
Mothers come in so many forms, mine in the most traditional of ways, but mother means many things so I struggled in what to say. I am a mother, biologically speaking to a beautiful little girl with another daughter on the way. But I am also a mother of the heart to my amazing step-daughter whom I love as my own, though I did not raise her when she was young I feel a connection to her that transcends biology. I myself have a blended family with a step-mother and step-father, my husband was reared and loved mostly by his father and grandparents with his grandmother taking on the role of mother. This is just the variation of mother existing in my small sphere, yet so many more remain; a sister who raised her siblings, a god-mother, an Auntie, a friend, adoptive mothers, mothers who neglect and abandon, fathers left to embody both roles of father and mother and so on... I wanted to compile a few poems and Quotes based on Mothers and I am sorry for those forms of mother which may be neglected in this post. First I should start with a little bit about what mother means to me or better yet what my mother means to me...


I cherish many things but mostly lullabies on warm summer evenings, waiting for my turn to come as one by one each child was sung to while having their back tickled and rubbed. I remember hikes in the canyon and late night family swims, parades and picnics, kite flying and aerobics around the coffee table. I remember being cheered on at soccer and swim team, football games were a family favorite in which we all cheered together and shared in my parents memories of times before us.  I fondly remember pigs in a blanket and ants on a log and frozen grapes...my mom lovingly had a snack waiting for us everyday when we came home from school and dinners were shared around the table. She was youthful, energetic, playful and fun. A child could not of had a better mother, us four children were simply blessed. 


I am now a mother, my circumstances are different then hers and in a way I am more prepared to be a mother. Sometimes however preparation can lead to over thinking and planing and less living in the moment, my mother was a child herself when she started having children, I was not. I sometimes wish I had that same child like abandon she possessed when we were young. I am grateful however for my own set of circumstances; I am raising full time; a teenage daughter, a toddler and have a child on the way, though I may lack some of my mothers youthful abandon I am being set up for a certain structure in my parenting that will serve me through every stage in their development. I am so in love with motherhood, more and more each day, it has its struggles surely but even the struggles come with their own rewards. I love passing down the nightly ritual of lullabies and back scratching, I love watching my youngest daughter as she learns something new each day, I love watching Dylan blossom into the woman and potentially future mother she will become and I love the thought of what my third daughter will bring to our family.  What a beautiful and challenging journey motherhood is..cheers to those whom I share the trenches with, it may not always be easy but it will always be worth it. Happy mothers day ladies, keep up the good work! 



Me and my wonderful Mother.


My beautiful and talented daughter Dylan


My sweet little girl


My family, all five of us! =)


These last pic's have been added after the post, this was my surprise on Mothers Day, thank you Dylan you are amazing!!! 


How amazing is this surprise, way better then breakfast in bed!


Very Gypsy Lov'n!!!

Rowan thought it was all for her...




Best kids ever, I can't wait till their sister can join in the fun!


Thank you Dylan Mae, you bring so much light and love to my life, I love you...

“Even if i'm setting myself up for failure, I think it's worth trying to be a mother who delights in who her children are, in their knock-knock jokes and earnest questions. A mother who spends less time obsessing about what will happen, or what has happened, and more time reveling in what is. A mother who doesn't fret over failings and slights, who realizes her worries and anxieties are just thoughts, the continuous chattering and judgement of a too busy mind. A mother who doesn't worry so much about being bad or good but just recognizes that she's both, and neither. A mother who does her best, and for whom that is good enough, even if, in the end, her best turns out to be, simply, not bad. ”
-Ayelet Waldman


“In a child's eyes, a mother is a goddess. She can be glorious or terrible, benevolent or filled with wrath, but she commands love either way. I am convinced that this is the greatest power in the universe.”
-N.K. Jemisin


“Being a mother is an attitude, not a biological relation.”
-Robert A. Heinlein


“The great motherhood friendships are the ones in which two women can admit [how difficult mothering is] quietly to each other, over cups of tea at a table sticky with spilled apple juice and littered with markers without tops.”
-Anna Quindlen

“Was it the act of giving birth that made you a mother? Did you lose that label when you relinquished your child? If people were measured by their deeds, on the one hand, I had a woman who had chosen to give me up; on the other, I had a woman who'd sat up with me at night when I was sick as a child, who'd cried with me over boyfriends, who'd clapped fiercely at my law school graduation. Which acts made you more of a mother?

Both, I realized. Being a parent wasn't just about bearing a child. It was about bearing witness to its life.”
-Jodi Picoult


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. 
 -Rajneesh

No comments:

Post a Comment