Sunday, June 3, 2012

University Falls

Ask and you shall receive!  
I recently posted onto Facebook a day trip the family and I took and everyone keeps asking the same question, where is this at?  The answer, University Falls outside of georgetown Ca, the place is epic to say the least. That is if you like natural rock slides, a healthy walk, beautiful clean water and a little adventure!  It is a bit of a hike in and a bit more of a hike out, but if you are moderately fit it is well worth the 5 miles round trip. This is no secret spot and if you arrive after 11am you will surely be a witness to that, the peaceful setting quickly turns into more of an amusement park atmosphere. When I was a little kid the cat wasn't fully out of the bag and you could spend the whole day enjoying the rock slides with only a handful of other people, but alas the internet and people like me blogging about that "secret spot"...sharing is a good thing, right? Well with all that being said if you pack it in you pack it out, and while your at it maybe bring a plastic grocery bag with you to fill up other peoples trash. My awesome husband picked up every piece of trash he saw on the way out, way to be a steward of the earth babe! 
Alright already how do you get there? First you have to look at our documented experience. =)



My favorite shot of the day, Dylan looking pretty in contemplation of the descent.


Ready, set...


Go!


Splash!


My 10yr old sister was the first to brave the slides, go girl!


Where did she go?


Dylan prepping herself...


Katera realizing how cold the water is!




A view of the first and second slide, my dad the birthday boy and I are sitting somewhere up top in the shade watching the fun.


The second slide or third, I didn't hike down...


My little sister


The third slide I believe...








At the very bottom, this last "slide" is not ridden, Quincy hiked down the hill to get some of these shots.


Our photographer and my sweet husband Quincy


My dad and three of his eight children


The husband and my pregnant self, I did not participate in the slides this time, just soaked in the chilly water and enjoyed watching the girls.


Feeling very pregnant and nervous about the hike up the 1200 ft ascent, oops did I forget to mention the climb out? Consider yourself warned! =)



  Quincy found a bird nest during the hike back, it was empty, dont worry no birdies were harmed. 



Directions:


University Falls is 30 miles (50 minutes) from Auburn, Ca. Head to Auburn on I-80, then take Hwy 49 south to the town of Cool. Go east on Hwy 193 to Georgetown. Go left onto Main St pass through town and keep going straight; this turns into Wentworth Springs Rd. Take this about 12 miles. Just after passing through the town of Quintette(there is only a small sign, basically look for a turn out where cars are parked on the left, if arriving before crowds just be aware of the yellow access gate after the big turn) From here, allow 90 minutes to walk in. Walk past the bright yellow gate; continue straight on the fire road. Go left at the next fork (sign "12N67B"). Go right at "the bend" (look for blue arrows on the rocks). Follow this trail down and make a hairpin right onto the trail that follows the Pilot Creek water canal(this is such a pretty part of the hike; continue about .5 mile. Look for the obvious side trail that descends to the left and take it. After 100 feet, go right at the first fork (look for blue paint on the tree). This descends to the falls. 


Like any swimming spot exercise caution there are no lifeguards on duty and this is the sort of place where injuries could happen quickly. The first three slides are the safest most commonly used with the fourth being dangerous and unnecessary. There is a sign posted warning it will take emergency crews 1hr to get there after being reached, I did not have cell reception so be aware of yourself and the people around you. But above all enjoy yourself and this epic location!

7 comments:

  1. I have actually walked this till I heard the falls about ten years ago. It was late and I turned around because my son was a kindergartener at the time and we were not prepared to spend the night. We were actually out Crystal Hunting. The only Crystal we found was the one on the trail that somebody dropped coming out. It made my son exstatic cuz he is the Rock Hunter.I've been told that this place is AWESOME , I'm so liking the photos. I think I'll have to get into shape and make the trip. I also have heard about the Final Fall. CRAZY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam you would love it! You should go back with your son this summer, as far as crystal hunting do you know of any good spots? I would love to go with my family but everyone is so hush hush about it! Thanks again for your comments and support following my blog, it means allot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I "heard" about this spot and am thrilled to see so many pictures. We will definitely have to check it out. Way to go! Hiking and pregnant. You inspire me, Sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah well thank you, I must admit it was allot harder while pregnant then I bartered for! You should definitely check it out, truly amazing and so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow that looks like so much fun!! Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete